Historic Research Projects
The UF Herbarium has a long history of research studies in diverse projects spanning traditional morphological plant systematics, floristics, plant anatomy, molecular analysis and pollination ecology. Many of the publications born from these projects are documented in our herbarium library catalog (specialized links below). This list is an archive of some of our historic research. These projects are no longer active and the archived pages are no longer maintained.
Historic Molecular, Morphological and Ecological Plant Systematic Studies
- Angiosperm Tree of Life Project : Resolving the trunk of the angiosperm tree and 12 of its thorniest branches. Douglas Soltis, Walter S. Judd, Steven Manchester, Pamela Soltis. (NSF award # 0431266).
- Molecular Systematics and Pollination Biology of Sobralieae (Orchidaceae)
- Molecular Systematics of Oncidiinae (Orchidaceae). Norris H. Williams, William Mark Whitten. (NSF award #9815821).
- Molecular Systematics of Asimina (Annonaceae)
- Orchid Tree: a phylogeny of epiphytes on the tree of life. Norris H. Williams, William Mark Whitten.
- Phylogenetics of Maxillariinae (Orchidaceae). Norris H. Williams, Williams Mark Whitten. (NSF award # 0234064).
- Phylogenetics of Pleurothallidinae: resolving generic limits in a large group of small orchids.
- Phylogeny of Scaphosepalum (Orchidaceae). Carmen Lorena Endara, Norris H. Williams. (NSF award #1011357).
- Phylogeny of the Melanthiaceae (Liliales).
- Pollination of Dracula (Orchidaceae). Carmen Lorena Endara.
Historic Floristic Projects
- Barcoding Florida Plants Project
- Cultivated Woody Plants of Florida : Checklist and Virtual Herbarium (USDA CRIS Project) (2012-2015)
- Dimensions US-China: Collaborative Research: How historical constraints, local adaptation, and species interactions shape biodiversity across an ancient floristic disjunction (Pamela Soltis, et al., NSF Award #1442280) View project vouchers in the UF Herbarium Catalog
- Flora and DNA barcoding of the vascular plants of the Ordway-Swisher Biological Station (UF / Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences, 2013-2015)
- Flora of Macaya National Park, Haiti is a Web site funded, in part, by a grant from Société Audubon Haïti (2015-2017). The site provides a working plant checklist, specimen data and images, and references, primarily based on the work in the region by University of Florida Herbarium, Florida Museum of Natural History, botanists and collaborators, and collections on deposit in the University of Florida Herbarium (FLAS).
- Floristic Inventory of Kanapaha Botanical Gardens
- Floristic Inventory of the University of Florida Campus
- Generic Flora of the Southeastern United States project
- Local Flora: Vascular Plants of North Central Florida
- Red List of Endemic Orchids of Ecuador
- Trees of the University of Florida – numerical and alphabetical lists of the numbered trees on campus.
Historic Collection and Resource Digitization Projects
- Collaborative Research : BiSciCol Tracker: Towards a tagging and tracking infrastructure for biodiversity science collections (NSF Award #0956371)
- Digitizing Latin American and Other Type Specimens at the UF Herbarium. Kent D. Perkins. (Mellon Foundation, 2011-2014). FLAS type specimen images and data for the Global Plants website.
- Digitization PEN: Digitization of North American Bryophyte and Lichen Specimens from Five Florida Herbaria (NSF Award #1206394, 2012-2015)
- Digitization TCN: Collaborative Research: Digitization TCN: The Macroalgal Herbarium Consortium: Accessing 150 Years of Specimen Data to Understand Changes in the Marine/Aquatic Environment (NSF Award #1304924)
- Digitization TCN: Collaborative Research: The Key to the Cabinets: Building and Sustaining a Research Database for a Global Biodiversity Hotspot (NSF Award #1410288, 2014-2017)
- Revealing the Rare: a Virtual Collection of Florida’s Endangered Plant Species (Florida Museum Associates)
- Computerization and Digitization of the University of Florida Herbarium (FLAS)
Publications by Staff, Student and Affiliated Researchers
(in herbarium library database)