The Florida Museum is OPEN to the public! To ensure a safe environment for guests, masks are required at all times and will be strictly enforced. Please visit our COVID-19 safety guidelines page for more details.
- 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Saturday
- 1-5 p.m. Sunday
- Open year-round. Closed Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.
- Last tickets sold 30 minutes prior to closing.
Admission & Tickets
General admission is FREE, although donations are gladly accepted. There is a cover charge for special exhibits and the Butterfly Rainforest. Children 12 and under must be accompanied by an adult.
|Survival of the Slowest||BEST VAlue! See both Butterfly
Rainforest and Survival of the Slowest
|Child Ages 3-17||Free||$7||$7||$13.50|
|Florida Resident w/ID||Free||$12||$9||$19.50|
|Senior 62+ w/ID||Free||$12||$9||$19.50|
|UF Student w/valid Gator 1 card||Free||Free||Free||Free|
|Non-UF College Student w/ID, FL schools only||Free||$12||$9||$19.50|
|ASTC Passport Members w/Card||Free||$12||FREE||$12|
|Museum Members w/Card||Free||Free||Free||Free|
|Electronic Benefits Transfer Recipients*** w/Card||Free||$3||$3||$3|
* Donations are accepted; suggested amounts are $6 for adults and $4 for children. Admission donations help support the Museum’s exhibitions and education programs. The Museum accepts cash, charge or checks made payable to UF Foundation.
** Discounts cannot be combined with any other offers or discounts.
*** Recipients receive a reduced fee of $3 per adult total for all fee-based exhibits and $0 for children ages 3-17. Up to four total tickets, in any combination of adult and child tickets, may be issued per EBT card.
- All prices subject to change.
- We accept cash, traveler’s checks, American Express, Visa, MasterCard and Discover. Credit cards are preferred at this time.
- All tickets are for that day only. Re-entry with ticket stub, wristband or hand stamp.
- The Butterfly Rainforest is an outdoor exhibit and subject to temporary storm closures. Refunds are not available. Rainchecks are provided under limited circumstances when extended closure is necessary for the safety of our guests. Please inquire about policy specifics before purchasing your tickets.
- The Florida Museum’s Admission Assistance Program provides financial assistance to economically disadvantaged school children, other individuals and community groups. For more information, please call 352-273-2027 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- As part of the “Museums for All” program, visitors who present a valid electronic benefits transfer card may enter the Butterfly Rainforest and special exhibits for a reduced fee of $3 per adult and $0 for children ages 3-17. Up to four total tickets, in any combination of adult and child tickets, may be issued per EBT card. Children must be accompanied by an adult. This offer is not valid for field trips, group packages or special events, and may not be combined with other discounts.
- Veterans receive a 10% discount on all ticket prices year-round. Valid forms of identification for veterans include a military ID, DD Form 214, VA card or driver’s license with a blue “V” in the bottom right corner. May not be combined with other offers.
- Students who receive an ‘A’ or ‘E’ grade in science can provide their most recent report card at the front desk and receive a free admission with the purchase of a paid adult admission. The offer is valid for the Butterfly Rainforest exhibit, the special exhibit, when available, or a value admission for both exhibits. Children 12 and younger must be accompanied by an adult. This offer has no cash value and cannot be combined with other offers or discounts.
- ASTC Passport Membership allows discounts and benefits at over 300 locations. Find out more about The Association of Science and Technology Centers Passport Program.
Gator 1 Card,
funded by UF Student Government
In compliance with U.S. and Florida laws, the Florida Museum of Natural History allows the use of trained service animals by individuals with disabilities in public Museum areas.
Service animals are defined by the U.S. Department of Justice, Civil Rights Division, as dogs trained to do work or perform tasks for a person with a disability. Miniature horses individually trained to do work or perform tasks for people with disabilities are included in the definition of service animal by the ADA. No other animals are included.
Service dogs in training are permitted and as per Florida statute must be identified as a service dog in training with a vest or other clear marker of training status.
Trained service animals are permitted in public Museum areas. Comfort animals, emotional support animals and pets are not permitted in the Museum.
All service animals and service animals in training entering the Museum must be:
- well-behaved; quiet and not interacting with other Museum visitors or exhibits.
- under the control of their handler at all times.
Owners whose animals are not able to comply with these minimum standards will be asked to remove them from the building. They are welcome to return when the animals can comply with behavior expectations.
Questions may be directed to Dr. Kenneth J. Osfield, University of Florida ADA Compliance office, email@example.com, 352-392-1591 (office).
Florida Museum of Natural History Exhibits
3215 Hull Road — Powell Hall
UF Cultural Plaza
PO Box 112710
Gainesville, FL 32611-2710
GPS coordinates: N29o 38′ 9.5″ W82o 22′ 10.9″
From Interstate 75: Take exit 384 and travel 1 mile east on State Road 24 (Archer Road). Turn north (left) on State Road 121 (SW 34th Street). Travel 3/4 mile to the third traffic signal. Turn east (right) on Hull Road. The entrance to the University of Florida Cultural Plaza is on the south (right) side of Hull Road.
From U.S. 441: Travel 2 miles west on State Road 24 (Archer Road). Turn north (right) on State Road 121 (SW 34th Street). Travel 3/4 mile to the third traffic signal. Turn east (right) on Hull Road. The entrance to the University of Florida Cultural Plaza is on the south (right) side of Hull Road.
From Jacksonville: Take I-10 west to US 301 South (exit 343) toward Starke staying on 301 to Waldo – 37.6 miles. From Waldo veer right (Gainesville sign) and drive 10 miles southwest on SR 24 (becomes Waldo Road in Gainesville) to the junction of SR 222/NE 39th Avenue. Turn west (right) onto SR 222/NE 39th Avenue. Cross over Main Street and then US 441/NW 13th Street. Continue to NW 34th Street. Turn south (left) and travel 3.5 miles to the traffic signal at Hull Road. Turn east (left) onto Hull Road. The entrance to the University of Florida Cultural Plaza is on the south (right) side of Hull Road.
- $4/day parking, 8:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m., Monday-Friday
- FREE parking, 3:30-5 p.m., Monday-Friday
- FREE parking on weekends, and state and university holidays
- Accessible parking is available
- Please see the attendant in the gated booth for full information
- 45-minute metered parking spots and UF decal lots are always in effect, except on weekends, and state and university holidays
- To avoid receiving a ticket, visitors should park only in designated areas on weekdays (excluding holidays), even if there are open spaces in the large adjacent parking lot. UF Traffic and Parking enforces parking restrictions weekdays year-round.
From the Museum parking lot, turn left/west on Hull Road and cross over SW 34th Street. Buses should park in back of the large UF Park & Ride lot to the right/north of the Hilton Conference Center. Do not park in the hotel parking lot.
Off Campus: Use Regional Transit System (RTS) routes 20 (Reitz Union to Oaks Mall), 25B (UF Cultural Plaza to Airport), 28 (The Hub to Forest Park) or 34 (The Hub to Lexington Crossing). Visit the RTS website for detailed routes and schedules.
UF Campus: During the Fall and Spring semesters use routes 117 Park-N-Ride 2 (34th Street), 118 Park-N-Ride 1 (Cultural Plaza), 119 (Family Housing), 125 (Lakeside), 126 (UF East/West Circulator) or 129 Sorority Row (Lakeside). Visit the RTS website for detailed routes and schedules.
Know Before You Go
All Museum exhibits are wheelchair accessible. See additional accessibility information.
Cameras and camcorders are welcome. Commercial photography and tripods or monopods of any type are prohibited.
No food, drinks or gum permitted in Museum exhibits.
The University of Florida campus is a tobacco-free environment.
Due to the limited width of the paths, backpacks and strollers are not permitted in the Butterfly Rainforest unless medically necessary. Bags larger than 15″ x 15″ x 7″ must be checked at the desk before entering the exhibit.
|Gift Shop: Butterfly Rainforest||352-273-2060|
|Gift Shop: Collectors Shop||352-273-2041|
|Groups & School Visits||352-273-2027|
- The Discovery Zone has many fun activities that foster critical thinking, creativity and collaboration.
- There are several kid-friendly exhibits with components to see and hear, including a limestone cave that invites exploration and collection drawers to examine.
- Strollers are permitted in all Museum exhibits except the Butterfly Rainforest.
- Save on admission with a Household Membership. Two adults and unlimited children ages 3-17 in the same household receive FREE admission to the Butterfly Rainforest and all special exhibits for one year, as well as other great benefits!
- General admission to most of the Museum’s permanent exhibits is free.
- Value tickets are available providing discounted admission to the Butterfly Rainforest and current featured exhibition.
- The Museum participates in the Museums for All program. Please see the Discount Details section under “Admission & Tickets” on this page for more information.
- Except for the McGuire Center for Lepidoptera and Biodiversity Lepidoptera collections, the Museum’s collections are housed in Dickinson Hall, located 2 miles from the exhibition center. This building is not open to the public, and all visitors must make an appointment with a staff member to gain entry. Dickinson Hall visitation information.
- McGuire Center visitors should enter the main Museum exhibition building and check in at the front desk.
- Be sure to visit VisitGainesville.com to learn more about our vibrant city!