We redact localities from the specimens of endangered species. The following are directions for specific sets.
1. Find the specimens in the cabinet where the Gholson endangered species are stored.
2. Find the jpg image based on the catalog number in:
H:\Gholson\final\images\[3 digit folder]\jpg
if, the folder is named jpgx, then the image is at:
3. Rename the image by appending “_nonsecure” to the end of the root name. E.g., 246923s1.jpg -> 246923s1_nonsecure.jpg
4. Open Photoshop. Note: CTRL commands are for Windows. Use COMMAND on a Mac.
5. Open image: CTRL O
6. Enlarge image so label is visible: CTRL + , about 3 times.
7. Press i for the dropper. Select a background color around the locality you want to redact and click.
8. Press b for the brush. Diameter 50-65, opacity 100%, flow 100%.
9. Wipe out the detailed locality, latitude and longitude, section, township and range. You may keep the county.
10. Press t for text. Text should be set to red (255,0,0 or ff0000), Arial, 14 pt.
11. Click in the place where the location was and enter [locality obscured].
Hint, hightlight that and copy it with CTRL C. You can then just paste it with CTRL V from now on.
12. Press CTRL E to merge layers.
13. Press CTRL SHIFT S for save as. Save as same filename without “_nonsecure”. Important! Don’t press SHIFT S, or Save, and overwrite the original.
Save at the highest quality jpg.
14. CTRL-W to close image.