Rationale, Justification, Administration
- “A herbarium without a library simply cannot function.”
- Fosberg, F.R. and M.-H. Sachet. 1965. Manual for tropical herbaria. Regnum Vegetabile, vol. 39. International Bureau for Plant Taxonomy and Nomenclature, Utrecht, Netherlands. p.83.
- Nomenclature is rooted in historical documents, discourse, and conclusions.
- Plant identification heavily relies on keys, descriptions, and illustrations.
- Botanical research regularly requires use of monographs, revisions, and floras.
- The Florida Statutes states that the Florida Museum of Natural History shall build a library to support its programs.
- Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS) provides grants for library-related projects. Agencies such as United Nations Education, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) provide grants to small institutions in foreign countries to assist in building libraries.
- The UF Herbarium has a coordination of collection development agreement with the UF Libraries.
Cataloging and Inventory Control
- Cataloging standards :
–Online Computer Library Center (OCLC)
–International Standard Book Number (ISBN)
–International Standard Serial Number (ISSN)
–Library of Congress Control Number (LCCN)
- Classification schemes :
–Library of Congress
–hybrid or custom.
-Using cutter codes in classification.
- Cataloging software :