University of Florida Herbarium Library
- Separate multiple search terms with spaces.
- Enclose phrases in "quotes".
- Searches are case insensitive by default. Check case sensitive for case sensitive searches.
- "Any/All" Search terms must be more than one character long. "Starts with" search terms may be one character or more long.
- Search terms in multiple fields (author, title, subject) are joined as "AND" searches.
- Drop articles (the, a, an, el, los, die etc.) for title, series and serial searches.
- Call # searches are only "starts with" style searches.
- Authors are entered in the catalog in quasi bibliographic form as they appear on the publication. There is currently no author authority/cross-reference file (one will be developed in the future).
- The structure of the database has changed several times during the course of the development of catalog. The data in some older records has not been migrated to the appropriate new fields. E.g.:
- Year now has it's own field and prints after the author on new records. Year formerly was entered after publication source info. and will print there on older records.
- Certain series and serial titles are entered in the source field on older records. These series and serial titles are not searchable at present.
- Most series titles are entered in the title field. These are being migrated to a separate series field so that sorting by series and issue number is possible. E.g.:
Flora of Pakistan ; no.204 : Chenopodiaceae. Will eventually be entered as:
Series: Flora of Pakistan ; no.204
- International characters (diacriticals) cause a number of problems, including:
- These characters must be entered in searches to retrieve matches.
- Diacriticals were entered inconsistently in the database in the past. E.g.: "Hernandez" and "Hernández" are both present in the database.
- Diacriticals muck up the sort order. E.g., "Hernández" sorts after "Herndon".
- These problems will be corrected in future versions.
If you don't find what you're looking for in our catalog, try these links to other bibliographic databases.
Vascular Plants | Bryophytes and Lichens
Wood | Fungal
Paleobotany (affiliated collection)