As part of this program, the Thompson Earth Systems Institute hosts a series of teacher professional development workshops. During these workshops, teachers work alongside scientists to learn the latest research trends and develop hands-on lesson plans.
Professional Development Opportunities
- You can be one of the first to hear about new PD opportunities by:
- Request a teacher PD training at your school by emailing Brian Abramowitz at email@example.com (for north Florida) and Stephanie Killingsworth at firstname.lastname@example.org (for south Florida).
Visit these links to learn more about our past professional development workshops and to access the resources developed.
- Summer Scientist in Every Florida School Summer PD Workshop — July 6-10, 2020
- World Wetlands January Summit PD (January 2020)
- Montbrook Teacher Professional Development (November 2019)
- Montbrook Pre-Visit Webinar Training (November 2019)
- Florida Association of Science Teachers (FAST) Conference (October 2019)
- Imaging and Digitization for Avocational Paleontologists Workshop (July 2019)
- Human Evolution Summer Teacher Workshop (July 2019)
- Connections to the Biosphere Summer PD (July 2019)
- Scientist in Every Florida School Kickoff Retreat (January 2019)
The ongoing global health pandemic has disrupted traditional classroom learning, prompting Florida K-12 teachers to quickly mobilize, rethink their curriculum and launch their virtual classrooms.
To help with this transition, the Scientist in Every Florida School program has developed a suite of digital, on-demand K-12 resources that teachers can easily deploy using their virtual teaching platform of choice. Learn more.
K-12 On-Demand Teaching Resources
- ‘Virtual Q&A with a Scientist’ events and supplemental K-12 resources: These 30-minute discussions and field trips include a brief overview of a particular research area, followed by a question and answer session. Select presentations also include virtual tours of museums, research vessels and laboratories. SEFS also provides supplemental resources such as readings, writing prompts, and activities for select topics.
- SEFS Science Segments: Short video interviews with a scientist organized by learning standard.
Request a new topic or chat with our team:
Do you have a topic in mind that we haven’t covered yet? We want to hear from you to make it happen!