The Florida Museum of Natural History’s Special Collections Building houses roughly 4 million specimens preserved in 60,000 gallons of ethyl or isopropyl alcohol that make up the Museum’s expansive “wet” collections, including those from the Herpetology, Ichthyology, Invertebrate Zoology, Mammals and Ornithology divisions.
Storing specimens used by scientists worldwide, the building serves as a space for researchers to conduct studies that provide critical information for our global community.
The two-story facility was purpose-built and includes systems designed to provide the highest level of safety and fire suppression. It features 23,000 square feet of mobile, compact high-density shelving systems, research and imaging laboratories and office space, providing ample room for the continued expansion of the collections.
This $13 million project was designed and built by The Haskell Co. and opened in 2022.
THIS BUILDING IS NOT OPEN TO THE PUBLIC. Visitors must make an appointment with a staff member to gain entrance.
Florida Museum of Natural History
Special Collections Building
3207 Hull Road
University of Florida
Gainesville, FL 32611
GPS coordinates: 29.635414, -82.370620
- From Interstate 75: Take exit 384 and travel 1 mile east on State Road 24 (Archer Road). Turn north (left) on State Road 121 (SW 34th Street). Travel 3/4 mile to the third traffic signal. Turn east (right) on Hull Road. The entrance to the University of Florida Cultural Plaza is on the south (right) side of Hull Road.
- From U.S. 441: Travel 2 miles west on State Road 24 (Archer Road). Turn north (right) on State Road 121 (SW 34th Street). Travel 3/4 mile to the third traffic signal. Turn east (right) on Hull Road. The entrance to the University of Florida Cultural Plaza is on the south (right) side of Hull Road.
- From Jacksonville: Take I-10 west to US 301 South (exit 343) toward Starke staying on 301 to Waldo – 37.6 miles. From Waldo veer right (Gainesville sign) and drive 10 miles southwest on SR 24 (becomes Waldo Road in Gainesville) to the junction of SR 222/NE 39th Avenue. Turn west (right) onto SR 222/NE 39th Avenue. Cross over Main Street and then US 441/NW 13th Street. Continue to NW 34th Street. Turn south (left) and travel 3.5 miles to the traffic signal at Hull Road. Turn east (left) onto Hull Road. The entrance to the University of Florida Cultural Plaza is on the south (right) side of Hull Road.
- $4/day parking, 8:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m., Monday-Friday
- FREE parking, 3:30-5 p.m., Monday-Friday
- FREE parking on weekends
- FREE parking on state and university holidays: New Year’s Day, MLK Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, UF Homecoming, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving Thursday & Friday, Christmas Day
- Accessible parking is available
- Please see the attendant in the gated booth for full information
- 45-minute metered parking spots and UF decal lots are always in effect, except on weekends, and state and university holidays
- To avoid receiving a ticket, visitors should park only in designated areas on weekdays (excluding holidays), even if there are open spaces in the large adjacent parking lot. UF Traffic and Parking enforces parking restrictions weekdays year-round.