Dr. Andrei Sourakov
McGuire Center for Lepidoptera & Biodiversity
Florida Museum of Natural History
3215 Hull Road
Gainesville, FL 32611-2710
Ph. D. (1997) in Entomology, University of Florida
Select Publications (for complete list, see CV):
Most cited (141 citations on 11-17-2018): Lukhtanov V. A., A. Sourakov, E. V. Zakharov, and P. D. N. Hebert, 2009. DNA barcoding Central Asian butterflies: Increasing geographical dimension does not reduce the success of species identification. Molecular Ecology Resources. 9: 1302-1310. doi: 10.1111/j.1755-0998.2009.02577.x
- Sourakov A. 2018. Tropical Lepidoptera Research, 28(1): 35-38. Mass aggregations of Idia moths inside hollow trees in Florida.
- Sourakov A. 2018. Journal of Natural History 52(7-8): 483-490. Size, spines and crochets: defences of luna moth caterpillars against predation by brown anoles.
- Sourakov, A., R. A. St Laurent, K. Dexter, C. Doll. 2017. Tropical Lepidoptera Research, 27(2): 117-119. Experimental evidence for polyphenism in Automeris io ..
- Sourakov A. 2017. Giving eyespots a shiner: Pharmacologic manipulation of the Io moth wing pattern. F1000Research 6:1319 (doi: 12688/f1000research.12258.2)
- Long, I. and Sourakov, A., 2017. The Journal of the Lepidopterists’ Society. Remarkable Longevity of the Chemically Defended Moth, Utetheisa ornatrix … PDF.
- Sourakov, A. 2017. News of the Lepidopterists’ Society. Studying Lepidoptera in different lights., 59(2): 96-101. PDF
- Sourakov, A. & H. Alborn. 2017. Tropical Lepidoptera Research. On the evolutionary arms-race between the moth Utetheisa ornatrix..and Crotalaria pumila:chemical attraction and mechanical defense. PDF
- Brandon, C. J & A. Sourakov. 2016. Tropical Lepidoptera Research. Evaluation of mechanical defense provided by pericarps of three different Crotalaria species to their seeds against a specialist herbivore, Utetheisa ornatrix… PDF
- Lukhtanov V. L., A. Sourakov, E. V. Zakharov. 2016. Systematics and Biodiversity. DNA barcodes as a tool in biodiversity research: testing pre-existing taxonomic hypotheses…
- Sourakov, A., D. Plotkin, A. Y. Kawahara, L. Xiao, W. Hallwachs, D. Janzen. 2015. Tropical Lepidoptera Research. On the taxonomy of the erythrina moths Agathodes and Terastia …PDF
- Sourakov, A. 2015. News of Lepid. Soc. Gynandromorphism in Automeris io (Lepidoptera: Saturniidae). PDF
- Sourakov, A. 2015. Tropical Lepidoptera Research. Temperature-dependent phenotypic plasticity in wing pattern of Utetheisa ornatrix bella... PDF
- Sourakov, A. 2015. J. Nat. Hist. You are what you eat: Native versus exotic Crotalaria species (Fabaceae) as host plants of the Ornate Bella Moth…
- Matos-Maraví, P., R. N. Águila, C. Peña, J. Y. Miller, A. Sourakov, & N. Wahlberg. 2014. BMC Evol. Biol. Causes of endemic radiation in the Caribbean: evidence from the historical biogeography and diversification of the butterfly genus Calisto…
- Sourakov, A. 2013. J. Nat. Hist. Two Heads are better than one: False Head allows Calycopis cecrops to escape Predation by a Jumping Spider…
James D, Albaugh D, Cammarata B, Field R, Greeney H, Hortsman J, Morgan S, Pittaway T, Scott JA, Sourakov A, Townsend M, Wolfe K. 2017. The Book of Caterpillars. A life-size guide to six hundred species from around the world. (James DJ, editor). Un. Chicago Pr. 656pp.
- “Insects and Plants” IDH2930 or ENY4905 This course will be offered again in the Fall 2019. Past course syllabus
- “Individual Studies in Entomology” (arrange by e-mail)
My Recent Curatorial Activities:
- Digitizing Irving Finkelstein Collection
- Accessioning Ronald Flaspohler collection
- Accessioning Knudson/Bordellon collection
- Processing and integrating into McGuire collection moth samples from around the world (over 200,000 specimens in the last 6 years)
My outreach activities:
- LepCamp: middle school level summer camp instructing how to make insect collections
- Junior Volunteers in Lepidoptera Collections: high school students learning to curate collections
- I made insect displays for the new Discovery Zone at the Florida Museum of Natural History
Photography and Film
- For samples of my insect photography, please visit my Twitter page
- I recently teamed up with the museum marketing to create a video that promotes butterfly gardening. Most of the footage in this video was shot on the way to and from work with my cell phone.
- Also, we recently made a film on Biology of Zebra Longwing, which is the Florida State butterfly.
My research featured in Florida Museum’s Science Stories:
- Hollow trees host massive moth slumber parties (2018)
- DNA barcodes help solve butterfly classification conundrums (2017)
- Bella moth keeps dangerous invasive plants at bay in Florida (2015)
- Jumping spider vs. hairstreak butterfly (2013)
- Exotic plants affect native moth (2013)
- Documenting evidence of mimicry in caterpillar (2011)
- Using DNA bar coding to improve tropical butterfly classification (2011)
- Eighth-grader wins science fairs with butterfly behavior project (2010)
- DNA barcoding shows promise for butterfly identification (2009)
Curriculum Vitae and List of Publications – PDF