McGuire Center for Lepidoptera & Biodiversity
Florida Museum of Natural History
3215 Hull Road
Gainesville, FL 32611-2710
Ph. D. (1997) in Entomology, University of Florida
Select Recent Publications
Most cited: Lukhtanov V. A., A. Sourakov, E. V. Zakharov, and P. D. N. Hebert, 2009. DNA barcoding Central Asian butterflies: Increasing geographical dimension does not reduce the success of species identification. Molecular Ecology Resources. 9: 1302-1310. doi: 10.1111/j.1755-0998.2009.02577.x
- Sourakov, A. 2020. Emperors, admirals and giants, zebras, tigers and woolly bears: casting a broader net in exploring heparin effects on Lepidoptera wing patterns. F1000Research 7:1842.
- Sourakov, A., Doll C. F., Quinn, A. M., Xiao L., and Anderson E. 2020. On speciation and hybridization among closely related species: establishing an experimental breeding lineage between two species of Automeris …. Insecta Mundi 0797: 1-16
- Sourakov, A. & L. T. Shirai. 2020. Pharmacological and surgical experiments on wing pattern development of Lepidoptera, with a focus on the eyespots of saturniid moths. Tropical Lepidoptera Research 30(1): 4-19.
- Sourakov, A. 2019. Opinion: the future of monarch migration in light of its past. News of the Lepidopterists’ Society, 61(4): 196-97.
- Lukhtanov, V., Sourakov, A., Tikhonov, V., Zakharov, E., 2019. Taxonomic Rearrangement of the Erebia tyndarus Species Group (Lepidoptera, Nymphalidae, Satyrinae) Based on an Analysis of COI Barcodes, Morphology, and Geographic Distribution. Folia Biologica (Kraków), 67(4).
- Sourakov, A. & G. T. Austin. 2019. What one can learn from collecting 25,000 moths in one’s backyard during two years. News of the Lepidopterists’ Society, 61(2): 92-98.
- Sourakov, A., 2019. Tropical Lepidoptera Research, 29(1): 52-55: Evaluating potential aposematic signals in caterpillars using a fluorescent microscope and spectrometer.
- Sourakov, A. 2018. Tropical Lepidoptera Research 28(2): 96-98. Baculovirus infection may affect wing color of the Zebra Longwing butterfly.
- Sourakov, A. 2018. F1000Research 7:1842. Leopards and giants, tigers and woolly bears: casting a broader net in exploring heparin effects on Lepidoptera wing patterns.
- Sourakov, A. 2018. Tropical Lepidoptera Research, 28(1): 35-38. Mass aggregations of Idia moths inside hollow trees in Florida.
- Sourakov, A. 2018. Journal of Natural History 52(7-8): 483-490. Size, spines and crochets: defences of luna moth caterpillars against predation by brown anoles.
- Sourakov, A., R. A. St Laurent, K. Dexter, C. Doll. 2017. Tropical Lepidoptera Research, 27(2): 117-119. Experimental evidence for polyphenism in Automeris io ..
- Sourakov A. 2017. Giving eyespots a shiner: Pharmacologic manipulation of the Io moth wing pattern. F1000Research 6:1319 (doi: 12688/f1000research.12258.2)
- Long, I. and Sourakov, A., 2017. The Journal of the Lepidopterists’ Society. Remarkable Longevity of the Chemically Defended Moth, Utetheisa ornatrix … PDF.
- Sourakov, A. 2017. News of the Lepidopterists’ Society. Studying Lepidoptera in different lights., 59(2): 96-101. PDF
- Sourakov, A. & H. Alborn. 2017. Tropical Lepidoptera Research. On the evolutionary arms-race between the moth Utetheisa ornatrix..and Crotalaria pumila:chemical attraction and mechanical defense. PDF
- Brandon, C. J & A. Sourakov. 2016. Tropical Lepidoptera Research. Evaluation of mechanical defense provided by pericarps of three different Crotalaria species to their seeds against a specialist herbivore, Utetheisa ornatrix… PDF
- Lukhtanov V. L., A. Sourakov, E. V. Zakharov. 2016. Systematics and Biodiversity. DNA barcodes as a tool in biodiversity research: testing pre-existing taxonomic hypotheses…
- Sourakov, A., D. Plotkin, A. Y. Kawahara, L. Xiao, W. Hallwachs, D. Janzen. 2015. Tropical Lepidoptera Research. On the taxonomy of the erythrina moths Agathodes and Terastia …PDF
- Sourakov, A. 2015. News of Lepid. Soc. Gynandromorphism in Automeris io (Lepidoptera: Saturniidae).
- Sourakov, A. 2015. Tropical Lepidoptera Research. Temperature-dependent phenotypic plasticity in wing pattern of Utetheisa ornatrix bella... PDF
- Sourakov, A. 2015. J. Nat. Hist. You are what you eat: Native versus exotic Crotalaria species (Fabaceae) as host plants of the Ornate Bella Moth…
- Matos-Maraví, P., R. N. Águila, C. Peña, J. Y. Miller, A. Sourakov, & N. Wahlberg. 2014. BMC Evol. Biol. Causes of endemic radiation in the Caribbean: evidence from the historical biogeography and diversification of the butterfly genus Calisto…
- Sourakov, A. 2013. J. Nat. Hist. Two Heads are better than one: False Head allows Calycopis cecrops to escape Predation by a Jumping Spider…
James D, Albaugh D, Cammarata B, Field R, Greeney H, Hortsman J, Morgan S, Pittaway T, Scott JA, Sourakov A, Townsend M, Wolfe K. 2017. The Book of Caterpillars. A life-size guide to six hundred species from around the world. (James DJ, editor). Un. Chicago Pr. 656pp.
- “Insects and Plants” IDH2930/ENY4905 This course will be offered again in the Fall 2021. Past course syllabus
- “Individual Studies in Entomology” (arrange by e-mail)
- Visiting lecturer, many UF courses (arrange by e-mail)
Recent Curatorial Activities
- Digitizing Irving Finkelstein Collection
- Accessioning Ronald Flaspohler collection
- Accessioning Knudson/Bordelon collection
- Podcasts, “In Defense of Plants”
- LepCamp: middle school level summer camp instructing how to make insect collections
- Junior Volunteers in Lepidoptera Collections: high school students learning to curate collections
Recent Blog Posts
Homage to bidens
Some call it “The Spanish Needle,” which, I suppose, invokes thoughts of pain and the Spanish Inquisition at the same…
And thanks for all the … lilies.
Between our McGuire Center for Lepidoptera and the Harn Museum of Arts, we share a plaza with some interesting, I…
Lepidoptera Research Information Exchange 2020
Despite the COVID pandemic, the research staff and graduate students at the McGuire Center for Lepidoptera and Biodiversity were able…
- my Twitter page
- video promoting butterfly gardening
- Zebra Longwing, the official Florida state butterfly (video)
My work featured in Florida Museum’s Science Stories:
After being in a COVID-19 chrysalis for over a year, the Florida Museum of Natural History’s butterfly garden program is…
The iconic eyespots that some moths and butterflies use to ward off predators likely evolved in distinct ways, providing insights…
It may seem as though the same brown moths circle your porch light each night. But a two-year survey of…
Unlike social insects such as bees and ants, moths are generally loners. So, when Florida Museum of Natural History lepidopterist…
40 years of friendship, 70,000 specimens: Amateur entomologists donate lifetimes’ worth of butterflies and moths
As a 4-year-old, butterfly net in hand, Ed Knudson set out to catch insects in his neighborhood. Little did he…
Florida Museum researcher Andrei Sourakov recently published a paper in the Journal of Natural History on his observations of the…
Take a look at this box of butterflies. How many species do you see? You might be tempted to divide…
Taming a wild plant may not sound too ominous, unless you are a tiny moth and the plant is 8…
Florida Museum of Natural History researcher Andrei Sourakov has a soft spot for small, winged creatures, and an extraordinary commitment…
Butterflies are among the most vibrant flying insects, with colorful wing patterns sometimes designed to deflect predators. From frogs and…