UF Thompson Earth Systems Institute
2020 – 2021 Request for Proposals
Lifelong Learner Education and Outreach
Submission deadline: Sunday, December 13, 2020 at 11:59 p.m.
The Thompson Earth Systems Institute (TESI) is seeking proposals for education and outreach projects that deliver Earth systems science content (air, water, land, and life) to lifelong learners throughout the state of Florida. Projects that include a partnership or collaboration between the proposer(s) and non-UF organizations are highly encouraged.
Lifelong learners include adults and families who learn outside of formal education institutions.
Lifelong learner education and outreach can take the form of:
- Digital outreach through the creation of websites, videos, and social media
- Print materials, such as brochures, posters, and fliers
- Exhibits, which can be displayed in museums, nature centers, libraries, and other public spaces
- Public programs, such as presentations, nature walks, lab demonstrations, skill-building workshops, and more
- Outreach tables, which are set-up at events, festivals, or as pop-ups in public spaces
- Community science initiatives involving public contribution to data collection and research
Note – COVID-19 precautions and considerations should be included in every project plan.
Eligibility: This grant opportunity is open to all University of Florida postdocs and graduate students. UF undergraduate students may also submit a proposal with the declared support of a UF faculty or staff member who agrees to mentor the student throughout the duration of their project. Submissions can be individual or collaborative. In collaborative projects, only one team member must be affiliated with UF.
Funding: Proposers must submit a detailed budget outlining the costs related to their project. TESI will award up to $2,000 to cover supplies, travel (if permitted by COVID conditions), and other costs associated with delivering the outreach project. The funds will be administered through TESI and cannot be used to support stipends, wages, or meeting travel.
Process: Proposers must complete their application, including submission of a letter of support, by 11:59 p.m. on Sunday, December 13, 2020. The TESI team will review all proposals and alert proposers of their status within two weeks. We anticipate funding at least two proposals in the Lifelong Learner category. After a short orientation, grant recipients can begin spending their funds in early 2021.
Priority consideration will be given to projects that:
- Help expand TESI’s reach outside of Gainesville to other locations in Florida.
- Have identified partner organizations or host locations that are interested in supporting the project. Need help finding partners? Contact Sadie Mills at firstname.lastname@example.org prior to the proposal deadline for ideas on how to make connections.
- Educate people about topics with strong relevance to Florida, or that can be connected to Florida.
As part of the award, recipients must commit to submitting a short report on outcomes after their project is complete.
How to Apply:
Proposals will be submitted via a Qualtrics application. To complete the application, you will need the following:
- Name and contact information of each project member.
- A CV or resume for each project member, to be uploaded as a PDF.
- Your project proposal, to be uploaded as a PDF. See proposal requirements here.
- A letter of support from a UF faculty or staff member serving in an advisory capacity, or a plan to have one emailed to email@example.com.
Please have all these items gathered before you begin your application, as you will not be able to save your progress. Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Proposals are due by 11:59 pm on Sunday, December 13, 2020.