A few weeks ago when the rest of the Museum interns and myself went to Thomas Farm, we excavated a partial mandible belonging to the camelid Nothokemas. In the field, it was found in the square in which Ariel was digging. Richard instructed her to dig a trench around it and pedestal it so that we can prepare to put a jacket on it. Ariel uncovered the mandible, and then we switched places and I finished the trench.
Once deep enough, Richard instructed me on how to make the jacket. I made the plaster jacket and let it dry, and once ready I pried it up from the ground. I brought it back to the lab, and set it down among other jackets from Thomas Farm. To my surprise, only a day or two later, I found that a volunteer had begun to prep it. After a while, Ariel took over the prepping and finally finished it. For a project, Aldo and I have been measuring camel teeth from both the Panama Canal, and Thomas Farm. I opened the drawer containing camel teeth that I was to measure, and in there sat the finished came jaw that we dug out of Thomas Farm. I took measurements on all of the intact teeth, and added them to my dataset. It was a cool feeling having watched the entire process of this fossil being uncovered, and then incorporating it into my data set. I felt like it had come full circle. It is nice to experience seeing something you dug out of the field get put to use right away, especially from a site which yields so much fossil material, as Thomas Farm does.