- This event has passed.
Learn about Florida wildlife by exploring museum collections, observing live organisms as we hike along trails and participate in socially distanced activities about the plants and animals found in our parks!
These unique events give participants:
- An up-close look at Museum specimens to learn about the collections and their importance
- The chance to take part in activities relating to springs
- A special hike and personalized tour of the creatures that live in local parks
Masks are required and social distancing guidelines will be implemented for the program.
Price: $12 per adult/child pair, includes park entrance fee. $6 per additional person.
Audience: Best suited for children in grades 1-6.
Time: 9:30 to 11 a.m.
Theme: Springs and fishes
Location: Ruth B. Kirby Gilchrist Blue Springs State Park
Instructor: Gabriel Somarriba, graduate student at the Museum’s Ichthyology Collection
Make sure to sign up soon as there are limited spots available!
- Arrive – 9:25 a.m.
Check in with Museum staff at Gilchrist Blue Springs State Park.
- Learn about Museum collections with an activity – 9:30 a.m.
Get excited about science and nature as Museum educators and scientists tell you about cool specimens and fun facts about the park. Put all your knowledge to work with a creative activity you can take home!
- Nature Hike – 10:00 a.m.
Take a guided hike of the park and learn about local plants, animals and ecosystems.
- Wrap-up – 10:50 a.m.
Ask our experts any remaining questions you may have.
While our program ends at 11 a.m., your ticket includes the day’s park pass. If you have time, plan on a picnic lunch and further exploration of the spring, nature trails and the park’s other amenities. Enjoy nature!
- Up to 1 mile of hiking (strollers not recommended).
- We could potentially get up to 30 minutes away from restrooms during the hike.
- Bring a reusable water bottle.
- Wear appropriate footwear and clothes that can get dirty.
- You might want some bug spray!
- This program is rain-or-shine.
Venue7450 NE 60th St
High Springs, FL 32643 Get Driving Directions
The Florida Museum may photograph or video visitors for educational and promotional purposes. Attendance to a Florida Museum event constitutes the attendee’s consent regarding the possibility of appearing in Museum marketing materials.