Get your toddler excited about exploring the great outdoors! Join Discovery Zone nature ambassadors for a safe and interactive nature walk on Tot Tuesdays. Each program has a focused theme and encourages exploration with a close look at the natural world while also sharing Museum treasures.
This program promotes child-led sensory experiences and investigation with a focus on families exploring science together.
Weather permitting, Tot Trot Nature Walks will take place on Tuesdays unless noted otherwise. Each event will be unique, and every month will cover a different theme.
Length: About 1.5 hours
Age: Recommended for children ages 2-5 years old.
When: Most Tuesdays. The program will take a break in July and August.
No pre-registration needed; payment will take place at the Museum before the nature walk. Each adult and child attending will need a ticket. Free for children under 2 years old. All children must be accompanied by an adult chaperone.
|Nature Walk cost||Members||Non-Members|
* Ticket prices are the same for children and adults.
Check-in Opens (9:00 a.m.):
Please arrive early to check in. Meet at the Museum’s picnic tables outside and you will be escorted to the Discovery Zone exhibit.
Start (9:15 a.m., about 15 minutes):
An engaging introduction to the topic in the Discovery Zone exhibit with hands-on activities.
Nature Walk (about 30 minutes):
Hike outside on trails behind the Museum while allowing children to safely touch, explore and interact with items on our path. Surprises await as we look closely at the world around us, encouraging teachable moments that are part of being outside in nature.
Wrap-up (10:30 a.m.):
Wrap-up and enjoy an activity and snack of peanut-free trail mix outside.
What to expect and bring
- We recommend wearing a mask.
- Bring a water bottle and/or sippy cup.
- Wear appropriate footwear and clothes that can get dirty or wet.
- This program is rain-or-shine, weather permitting.
- It is less than ½ a mile of walking (strollers not recommended). We could potentially get up to 30 minutes away from restrooms during the hike.
- Wear long sleeves and pants or use bug spray.
March Theme: Plants
April Theme: Animals II
4/18- Reptiles and Amphibians
May Theme: Past Life
5/23- Geology Rocks
5/30- NO Tot Trot today!
June Theme: Natural World
6/13- Sun & Shadow
Browse all upcoming Tot Trot dates
- Have fun and be flexible.
- Give the kids some control but keep them close.
- Bring snacks and plenty of fluids.
- Dress yourself and your children in layers and wear closed-toed shoes, long sleeves, pants and a hat to protect your skin from sunburn and insect bites.
- Pick a short, interesting hike and allow a lot of time.
- Safety first! Check your surroundings and watch where you step. Be extra cautious around water.
- Be prepared with first aid.
- Plan for weather!
- Teach, sing, and play games with your kids.
- Review with the kids – each hike – what to do if they should become separated from you.
- Respect all living things including all plants and animals.
- Return all living creatures back to where you found them.
- Collect carefully!
- Respect others property and watch for posted signs and private property.
- Take a close at nature, but best practice is to return natural items where they were found.