- This event has passed.
Due to public health concerns, the Costa Rica Family Rainforest Camp has been postponed to an undetermined later date, more details coming soon. The Museum will continue to monitor the evolving situation and keep the public updated regarding future events. We apologize for the inconvenience!
The Florida Museum invites you and your family to join us at Selva Verde Rainforest Reserve in Costa Rica. Explore fascinating wildlife and forest ecosystems, and be immersed in the adventure of a living classroom as you participate in a hands-on, once-in-a-lifetime experience with Museum scientists.
Costa Rica Family Rainforest Camp
June 29-July 5, 2020
Travel with the Florida Museum’s David Blackburn, Associate Curator of Amphibians and Reptiles, and Tina Choe, Exhibits & Outreach. This enriching program is for families with children ages 5-17. Minors should be accompanied by at least one parent or guardian. Participants will be divided into appropriate age groups for activities and workshops.
- Discover rainforest ecology on guided hikes through the Selva Verde Reserve.
- Learn about the importance of biological corridors and conservation.
- Participate in a reforestation project by planting native trees on local farms to help strengthen the Mesoamerican Biological Corridor.
- Visit a local school and meet with students and teachers to compare your daily school life with theirs.
- Go birding with local ornithologists to search for macaws, toucans and other tropical birds.
- Observe the fish, aquatic invertebrates and aquatic plants collected while dip netting. Use field tools, microscopes and small water tanks for a closer look at hard-to-see organisms.
- Experience hands-on learning by seeing how to use your senses, microscopes and gadgets for finding, collecting and observing in the field.
- Use your ears to listen for birds and then spot them using a scope.
- OPTIONAL EXTENSION: Ask about the extension for this program, July 5-8! See where the Florida Museum’s butterfly pupae are raised at El Bosque Nuevo in Guanacaste and observe bioluminescence at Playa Rajada.
$1,590 per person
Land cost only. Does not include international airfare.
Double room supplement $95
Single room supplement: $160
To enroll or for more information, visit holbrook.travel/fmnhcamp-cr20.
The Florida Museum may photograph or video visitors for educational and promotional purposes. Attendance to a Florida Museum event constitutes the attendee’s consent regarding the possibility of appearing in Museum marketing materials.