- This event has passed.
This camp is sold out, a waitlist is available.
The Florida Museum invites you and your family to join us at the Selva Verde Rainforest Reserve in Costa Rica. Explore fascinating wildlife and forest ecosystems, and be immersed in the adventure of a living classroom as you participate in a hands-on, once-in-a-lifetime experience with Museum scientists.
Costa Rica Family Rainforest Camp
July 1-7, 2022
Travel with the Florida Museum’s Dave Blackburn, Curator of Herpetology at the Florida Museum of Natural History, and Lucas Majure, Curator at the University of Florida Herbarium. This enriching program is for families with children ages 5-17. Minors should be accompanied by at least one parent or guardian. Participants will be divided into appropriate age groups for activities and workshops.
- Discover rainforest ecology on guided hikes through the Selva Verde Reserve.
- Learn about the importance of biological corridors and conservation.
- Participate in a reforestation project by planting native trees on local farms to help strengthen the Mesoamerican Biological Corridor.
- Meet children from a local community and learn about their daily life and culture while playing games together.
- Go birding with local ornithologists to search for macaws, toucans and other tropical birds.
- Observe the fish, aquatic invertebrates and aquatic plants collected while dip netting. Use field tools, microscopes and small water tanks for a closer look at hard-to-see organisms.
- Experience hands-on learning by seeing how to use your senses, microscopes and gadgets for finding, collecting and observing in the field.
- Use your ears to listen for birds and then spot them using a scope.
Family Rainforest Camp Extension
Don’t want your trip to end?
Continue your Family Rainforest Camp experience in the Guanacaste region of northwestern Costa Rica from July 6 to 9! See where the Museum’s butterfly pupae are raised at El Bosque Nuevo and observe bioluminescence on the Pacific Coast.
- Visit the greenhouses at El Bosque Nuevo to witness the butterfly breeding process and each stage of metamorphosis.
- Learn about local insects, animals, and plants during a guided hike.
- Use a black light to observe a wide range of insect specimens after dark.
- Observe the phenomenon of bioluminescence at Playa Rajada on the Pacific Coast.
The Family Rainforest Camp Extension is ONLY available to attendees of the Costa Rica Family Rainforest Camp.
These photos are from a previous trip. Read about it: A Family Affair: Summer camp in the Costa Rica rainforest
$1,690 per person
Land cost only. Does not include international airfare to and from destination.
Double room supplement $90
Single room supplement: $155
Venue7 kms de Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui (Chilamate, S.)
Sarapiqui, Heredia Province Costa Rica
The Florida Museum may photograph or video visitors for educational and promotional purposes. Attendance to a Florida Museum event constitutes the attendee's consent regarding the possibility of appearing in Museum marketing materials.