- This event has passed.
The Florida Museum invites you and your family to join us at Selva Verde Rainforest Reserve in Costa Rica. Explore fascinating wildlife and forest ecosystems, and be immersed in the adventure of a living classroom as you participate in a hands-on, once-in-a-lifetime experience with Museum scientists.
Costa Rica Family Rainforest Camp
June 18-24, 2018
Travel with the Florida Museum’s David Blackburn, Associate Curator of Amphibians and Reptiles, and Tina Choe, Exhibits & Outreach. This enriching program is for families with children ages 5-17. Minors should be accompanied by at least one parent or guardian. Participants will be divided into appropriate age groups for activities and workshops.
- Discover rainforest ecology on guided hikes through the Selva Verde Reserve’s rainforest.
- Learn about the importance of biological corridors and conservation.
- Participate in a reforestation project by planting native trees on local farms to help strengthen the Mesoamerican Biological Corridor.
- Visit a local school and meet with students and teachers to compare your daily school life with theirs.
- Go birding with local ornithologists to search for macaws, toucans and other tropical birds.
- Explore a local cacao farm and learn about the origin of chocolate and how the fruit becomes cocoa powder, plus taste some samples.
- Adventure Ahead! Go whitewater rafting and discover what lies beneath the surface of the water as you explore watershed ecosystems.
- Take night hikes in search of nocturnal wildlife such as tree frogs, leaf-mimicking insects, and nocturnal mammals including kinkajous and bats.
- Attend an interactive bat workshop and learn about the important role they play in controlling insect populations.
- Tour Toucan Rescue Ranch, a wildlife rehabilitation center, to learn about its rescue programs and meet its most popular residents, the sloths.
- Share your experiences through a high-tech classroom connecting virtually with the Florida Museum’s Bioblitz Camp in Gainesville, Florida, co-hosted by Adania Flemming, UF Biology graduate student.
$1,510 per person (double occupancy)
Land cost only. Does not include international airfare.
Single room supplement $195
Triple room credit $100
To enroll or for more information, visit: http://holbrooktravel.com/flmnhcamp-18
Venue7 kms de Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui (Chilamate, S.)
Sarapiqui, Heredia Province Costa Rica Get Driving Directions