The 2021 Costa Rica Family Rainforest Camp has been CANCELLED and is being rescheduled to 2022, stay tuned for more information.
The Florida Museum invites you and your family to join us at Selva Verde Rainforest Reserve in Costa Rica. Explore fascinating wildlife and forest ecosystems, and be immersed in the adventure of a living classroom as you participate in a hands-on, once-in-a-lifetime experience with Museum scientists.
Costa Rica Family Rainforest Camp
June 28-July 4, 2021
Travel with the Florida Museum’s Akito Kawahara, Associate Curator at the Museum’s McGuire Center for Lepidoptera and Biodiversity, and Lucas Majure, Assistant Curator at the University of Florida Herbarium. This enriching program is for families with children ages 5-17. Minors should be accompanied by at least one parent or guardian. Participants will be divided into appropriate age groups for activities and workshops.
- Discover rainforest ecology on guided hikes through the Selva Verde Reserve.
- Learn about the importance of biological corridors and conservation.
- Participate in a reforestation project by planting native trees on local farms to help strengthen the Mesoamerican Biological Corridor.
- Visit a local school and meet with students and teachers to compare your daily school life with theirs.
- Go birding with local ornithologists to search for macaws, toucans and other tropical birds.
- Observe the fish, aquatic invertebrates and aquatic plants collected while dip netting. Use field tools, microscopes and small water tanks for a closer look at hard-to-see organisms.
- Experience hands-on learning by seeing how to use your senses, microscopes and gadgets for finding, collecting and observing in the field.
- Use your ears to listen for birds and then spot them using a scope.
These photos are from a previous trip. Read about it: A Family Affair: Summer camp in the Costa Rica rainforest
Costa Rica has created a series of health and safety protocols for the tourism industry that provide guidelines for every aspect of the travel experience, such as lodging, transportation, and activities. Holbrook Travel will be following these guidelines and has implemented its own guidelines based on the recommendations of the World Tourism and Trade Council and the Adventure Travel Trade Association.
$1,590 per person
Land cost only. Does not include international airfare to and from destination.
Double room supplement $95
Single room supplement: $160
Venue7 kms de Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui (Chilamate, S.)
Sarapiqui, Heredia Province Costa Rica
The Florida Museum may photograph or video visitors for educational and promotional purposes. Attendance to a Florida Museum event constitutes the attendee’s consent regarding the possibility of appearing in Museum marketing materials.