Welcome to Discovery Time, a video series designed for families with young children (2+ years) as a way of introducing kids to nature. Each video has a project and a suggested book list.
Today’s video is all about birds!
- twine or string
- nut butter or sun butter
- bird seed
- Have You Heard the Nesting Bird? By Rita Gray
- Mama Built A Little Nest by Jennifer Ward
- About Birds A Guide for Children by Cathryn Sill
Have Fun, Stay Safe
Adventuring outside with children is more about exploring what you find, not the destination!
- Have fun and be flexible.
- Give the kids some control, but keep them close.
- Bring snacks and plenty of fluids.
- Dress yourself and your children in layers and wear closed-toe shoes, long sleeves, pants and a hat to protect your skin from sunburn and insect bites.
- Pick a short, interesting hike and allow a lot of time.
- Safety first! Check your surroundings and watch where you step. Be extra cautious around water.
- Be prepared with first aid.
- Plan for weather!
- Teach, sing and play games with your kids.
- Review with the kids – each hike – what to do if they should become separated from you.
Ethics of Collecting
- Respect all living things including all plants and animals.
- Return all living creatures back to where you found them.
- Collect carefully!
- Respect others property, watch for posted signs and private property.
- Take a close look at nature, but best practice is to return natural items where they were found.