Bring the Museum to your school! The Florida Museum currently offers five Inquiry Box outreach programs for use in the classroom. All activities are designed to integrate social studies, language arts, math and science in a unified learning experience.
Suitable for: All ages but geared to K-3rd grade
A 45-minute educational program is available to schools in Alachua County. These programs use artifacts and natural history objects and are delivered by Museum staff or docent volunteers to enhance science and social studies lessons or Museum field trips. Additionally, Inquiry Boxes may be checked out for two weeks. $80/session. Financial support is available for qualifying schools; please contact email@example.com for more information.
Inquiry Boxes may be checked out for two weeks at a cost of $25/box. Teachers are responsible for picking up and returning the Inquiry Boxes to the Museum.
- Discover the great variety of reptiles and amphibians that make their home in Florida: crocodilians, snakes, lizards, turtles, frogs and salamanders.
- Learn how reptiles and amphibians are the same and how they are different.
- Hold a snake shed and learn why and how snakes shed their skin.
- Learn what a tadpole is and how it is part of the transformation from egg to frog through the process called metamorphosis.
- Discover the difference between warm blooded and cold blooded animals by using a simple thermometer.
The Florida’s Reptiles and Amphibian Inquiry Box (2 green suitcases) contains books (both fiction and nonfiction), a video, 6 replicas, word cards, laminated teaching aids and a teacher’s guide (including a suggested approach sheet). This Inquiry Box features 14 shared boxes, each designed to be explored by 1-3 students.
Each box contains:
- Envelope A contains a real snake shed.
- Envelope B has a hands on camouflage activity.
- Envelope C contains a flat thermometer.
- Envelope D contains 6 frog metamorphosis cards.
- 2 sock puppets.
- Replica of a snapping turtle.
This Inquiry Box was designed using the Sunshine State Standards and is intended to enhance FCAT preparation.
Pick Up & Payment Policies
- Inquiry Boxes may be picked up at the Museum between 10 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Monday-Saturday and 1-4:30 p.m. on Sunday.
- Acceptable forms of payment are cash, credit card, and checks made out to the University of Florida.
Ready to reserve your inquiry box and/or presentation? Click a button below to get started!Reserve an Inquiry Box Request an Inquiry Box Presentation
Questions? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 352-294-6950.