Bring the Museum to your school! The Florida Museum currently offers five Inquiry Box outreach programs for use in the classroom. All activities are designed to integrate social studies, language arts, math and science in a unified learning experience.
Suitable for: All ages but geared to K-4th grade
- Learn about the life cycle of butterflies and moths.
- Learn how butterflies and moths are similar and different.
- Examine actual moths and butterflies found in Florida and discuss sizes, colors and body parts.
- Gain a better understanding of how important camouflage and adaptation methods are for survival.
- Understand that Lepidoptera have scales covering their wings.
- Experience how Lepidoptera see with their compound eyes.
The Florida’s Butterflies and Moths Inquiry Box (a large plum duffle bag) contains books (both fiction and nonfiction), a video, word cards, laminated teaching aids and a teacher’s guide (including a suggested approach sheet). This Inquiry Box features 14 shared boxes, each designed to be explored by 1-3 students.
Each shared box contains:
- One clear plastic box containing 1 of 4 Florida butterflies.
- One box containing 1 of 3 Florida moths.
- Packet of cards for identifying the above (Within the 14 boxes, there are 7 different Florida moths and butterflies.)
- 2 magnifying glasses.
- 2 eyepiece teleidoscopes.
- Packet of plastic life cycle parts.
- Butterfly finger puppet.
This Inquiry Box was designed using the Sunshine State Standards and is intended to enhance FCAT preparation.
Educators’ Guide & Recommended Reading
Ready to reserve your inquiry box and/or presentation? Click the button below to get started!Reserve an Inquiry Box
Questions? Please email email@example.com or call 352-294-6950.