Science fun is available from the Florida Museum for our community! The Science Surprises program is available either virtually or as an outdoor presentation at your school or community organization.
Do the full four-part series or pick individual topics. Each hour-long session begins with an interactive demonstration of a scientific concept, followed by hands-on, inquiry-based activities that they can take home to share with their families.
- Reptiles & Amphibians
- Science Surprises Summer Edition is offered for school and community organizations in Alachua County only
- $80 for one session, $250 for 4-part series
- Individual sessions are one hour long with themed science investigations led by Florida Museum educators and include activities for each camper to make and take home
- Sessions are available Tuesday to Friday. Morning sessions are at 9, 10 or 11 a.m. and afternoon sessions are at 1, 2, or 3 p.m.
- The program is available virtually via Zoom OR in-person outdoors at your camp venue
- All sessions are limited to 20 participants
- The activities are designed for children in grades K–6
- Financial support is available for qualifying organizations; please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information
- Presentations can be offered in Spanish
Pre-registration is required and 3 weeks notice is preferred.Register for a Science Surprise
We have developed kits to offer the program to groups that would prefer not to participate in face-to-face programming. Kits will include items to help participants explore natural phenomena and will be built for participating organizations to deliver the program with the virtual guidance of Florida Museum staff. Staff training is available and recommended to facilitate the delivery of these virtual programs. Our trainings will empower your staff to feel more confident in engaging participants in inquiry-based STEM education!
Kits can be delivered or picked up from the Museum.
This program can be a one-time experience, but we recommend running it as a four-part series.
The series scaffolds lessons and builds on the previous knowledge of participants as they complete each session. This method of delivery has proven to be more successful for us to establish relationships with program participants, especially those that have been accustomed to participating in “one and done” outreach programs, and it also allows us to establish meaningful partnerships with your organization.
Attitude: Participants will express an elevated level of interest in learning more about science.
Knowledge: Participants will explore natural phenomenon and how they occur by understanding the nature of science.
Skills: Participants will become better observers and problem solvers while also learning to use their creativity and communication skills.
Contact Alberto López, our Youth Outreach Coordinator, at email@example.com or 352-294-6950.