Science fun is available from the Florida Museum for our community! The Science Surprises program is available either virtually or as an in-person presentation for schools, homeschool groups or community organizations.
Do the full Physics in Nature four-part series or pick individual topics. Each session begins with an interactive demonstration of a scientific concept, followed by hands-on, inquiry-based activities that they can take home to share with their families.
- Science Surprises is offered to schools, homeschool groups and community organizations in Alachua County only
- $100 for one session, $320 for 4-part series
- Individual sessions can be from 30min to an hour long with themed science investigations led by Florida Museum educators and include activities for each participant to make and take home
- Sessions are available Monday to Friday from 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- The program is available in-person OR virtually via Zoom
- All sessions are limited to 20 participants
- The activities are designed for children in grades K–6
- Presentations can be offered in Spanish
- Financial support is available for qualifying organizations thanks to the Children’s Trust of Alachua County; please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information
Pre-registration is required and 3 weeks notice is preferred.Register for a Science Surprise
We have developed kits to offer the program to groups that would prefer not to participate in face-to-face programming. Kits will include items to help participants explore natural phenomena and will be built for participating organizations to deliver the program with the virtual guidance of Florida Museum staff. Staff training is available and recommended to facilitate the delivery of these virtual programs. Our trainings will empower your staff to feel more confident in engaging participants in inquiry-based STEM education!
Kits can be delivered or picked up from the Museum.
This program can be a one-time experience, but we recommend running it as a four-part series.
The series scaffolds lessons and builds on the previous knowledge of participants as they complete each session. This method of delivery has proven to be more successful for us to establish relationships with program participants, especially those that have been accustomed to participating in “one and done” outreach programs, and it also allows us to establish meaningful partnerships with your organization.
Attitude: Participants will express an elevated level of interest in learning more about science.
Knowledge: Participants will explore natural phenomenon and how they occur by understanding the nature of science.
Skills: Participants will become better observers and problem solvers while also learning to use their creativity and communication skills.
Contact Alberto López, our Youth Outreach Coordinator, at email@example.com or 352-294-6950.