Bring the Museum to your school! The Florida Museum currently offers five Inquiry Box outreach programs for use in the classroom. All activities are designed to integrate social studies, language arts, math and science in a unified learning experience.
Suitable for: All ages but geared to 3rd-5th grade
- Investigate the lives of Florida’s early native peoples from the hunting-and-gathering Paleoindians to the farming Apalachee and Timucuan peoples.
- Learn about their culture, community, clothing, games, houses, tools, food and trade items.
- Find out how life changed in Florida after the arrival of European explorers.
- Hold and explore replicas and ancient artifacts.
Each shared box contains:
- Chunky stone.
- Owl totem replica.
- Food packet (corn kernel, pumpkin seeds, dried bean, jerky, seashell, sunflower seed, peach pit, fish bones, acorns, shark tooth and peas).
- Trade bag (bell, glass beads, jewelry, mica, potsherd, quartzite, seashells, shark tooth and string).
- 2 pieces of terra cotta clay.
- Packet with fibers for cord making.
This Inquiry Box was designed using the Sunshine State Standards and is intended to enhance FCAT preparation.
Teacher’s Guide to Florida’s Native People
This teacher’s guide may be used for Inquiry Box presentations, Inquiry Box loans and Museum visits. The guide contains information on Florida’s Indian people, information on associated subjects and related fields of study, vocabulary and suggested activities. All activities are designed to integrate social studies, language arts, math and science in a unified learning experience. Permission is granted to reproduce the information and activities for student and teacher use. All guides are in PDF format.
Pick Up & Payment Policies
- Inquiry Boxes may be picked up at the Museum between 10 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Monday-Saturday and 1-4:30 p.m. on Sunday.
- Acceptable forms of payment are cash, credit card, and checks made out to the University of Florida.
Ready to reserve your inquiry box and/or presentation? Click the button below to get started!Reserve an Inquiry Box
Questions? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 352-294-6950.