The Fall 2022 dig dates are completely booked!
As long as the site is not too flooded, we are planning to begin digging with volunteers on Saturday, November 12th. We will dig Saturdays, Sundays, Mondays, and Tuesdays until Tuesday, December 13th. Those who volunteered with us at either the December 2021 dig at Thomas Farm or the Spring 2022 dig at Montbrook will be contacted via email and have priority in scheduling digging days. We will post and begin accepting applications for new volunteers to help at the site around Monday, October 24th.
Unfortunately, we are unable to take new volunteers for the remainder of the Fall 2022 digging season. You may return a filled-out volunteer application to email@example.com to be contacted for the Spring 2023 digging season sign-up.
Montbrook Dig Calendar
- The site is located on private property near Williston, Florida. On a typical day, volunteers are assigned a 1 meter by 1 meter digging square, excavate matrix and fossils with tools provided, and dump leftover matrix outside of the site. These activities can be physically demanding and occur in direct sunlight. Most people find several fossils in one day, including those of fish, turtles, alligators, and maybe our four-tusked elephant relative. With some luck, you can discover fossils of other mammals or birds, perhaps even a new species.
- Minimum of 3 hours per session but no additional time commitments. Must be 18 years or older. Training is provided and no prior experience or knowledge is required.
- There is no cost to volunteer for our fossil digs. However, if you wish to contribute money to help us maintain our annual volunteer fossil digs and to process and store the collected fossils, you can use this secure link to donate online. Donations through the UF Foundation are tax deductible.
- The spring season should begin around mid-January and run until mid-April. Check back for updated information around mid-December.
- More information about volunteering: www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/vertpaleo/volunteering/field