Elegance of Science 2019-2020
- The Elegance of Science contest is open to current UF faculty, students and staff.
- Submissions are limited to images created in the course of research or that incorporate scientific tools or concepts. One can also submit videos (up to 3 minutes) via YouTube.
- Each contestant may submit a maximum of five entries.
- Submit either high-resolution .jpg images (up to 15MB, jpgs preferred) or links to YouTube videos (up to 3 minutes long).
- Each entry must be accompanied by a description reflecting the artistic, scientific and educational value of the image or video, not to exceed 150 words.
- Artwork must be original and created by the contestant(s).
- Artwork must be submitted by midnight the deadline (contest in now closed)
A panel of judges (see past judges) from the Gainesville art and science community will independently score images/videos based on their artistic, scientific and educational merit. The accompanying 150-word description should expand upon the image’s educational merit and be written to target a high school science student audience.
The Elegance of Science Committee will select winning entries based on the combined scores assigned by the judges. Cash awards are as follows:
- First place $150
- Second place $100
- Third place $50
The award of prize money requires the recipient be eligible to receive payment from the University of Florida.
All contestants retain copyright for submitted entries. By submitting an entry, participants agree to all contest rules and attest the artwork(s) is (are) their own work and they hold all copyrights associated with the work. Participants take responsibility for any possible copyright infringement, and also agree to allow the Marston Science Library, the Florida Museum of Natural History, and the University of Florida, acting on behalf of the State of Florida, to use and/or distribute the image(s) for nonprofit, educational purposes in print or via the Internet. This is a non-exclusive grant of permissions for online and offline use for an indefinite term.