Self-guided visits are available for groups to visit Museum exhibits, Butterfly Rainforest and/or Special Exhibit in person without the benefit of docents or staff. You may self-guide multiple exhibits.
Self-Guided Field Trip Options
Self-guided visits may be scheduled anytime Monday through Friday 10 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. A staff member will greet your group and assist you with check-in and payment upon arrival. After that, your group leaders are entirely responsible for the educational experience of the students.
Note: Morning time slots in June are full and July Mornings are limited. Afternoon reservations are still available.
Self-Guided Student Pricing
Always on Display
|Museum Exhibits||Free, suggested donation $4/student|
Limited Time Only
|Exhibit||self-guide Exhibit||Best Value! Butterfly Rainforest + Exhibit||Available dates|
|Spiders Alive!||$4.50||$9.50||1/28/2023 – 9/4/2023|
One free chaperone per 10 students, additional adult fees listed below.
Museum exhibits are FREE but donations are accepted. Suggested amounts are $6 for adults and $4 for children. Admission donations help support the Museum’s exhibitions and education programs.
$6.00/student, 1 chaperone free per 10 students, $10.50/additional adult
Independent exploration of the Butterfly Rainforest without the benefit of docents or staff.
$4.50/student, 1 chaperone free per 10 students, $6.50/additional adult
Independent exploration of the Spiders Alive! exhibit without the benefit of docents or staff. Available Jan. 28, 2022-Sept. 4, 2023
$9.50/student, 1 chaperone free per 10 students, $16.00/additional adult
Independent exploration of the Spiders Alive! + Butterfly Rainforest exhibit without the benefit of docents or staff. Available Jan. 28, 2022-Sept. 4, 2023
Policies & Guidelines
Please read through these helpful suggestions and policies designed to make your field trip to the Museum a success! The Museum has additional COVID-19 safety guidelines in place to ensure a safe experience while inside our building.
- Group rates are available Monday through Friday for groups of 10 or more.
- Three-week advance reservation is recommended (two weeks required).
- Reserve your group visit here online
- Email email@example.com for changes or cancellations. Rescheduling may not be possible with less than two weeks notice.
- One chaperone for every 10 children is required.
- The Butterfly Rainforest is an enclosed, outdoor exhibit. Once payment has been received, no refunds or rain checks will be given for inclement weather.
- Last entry into the Butterfly Rainforest and special exhibits is 30 minutes before closing.
- Re-entry into the Butterfly Rainforest exhibit must be prearranged at the time of reservation.
- Complete the Admissions Form prior to your field trip. Please have an accurate count of all participants and divide students into subgroups.
- Please review the new Rules at the museum with your students and chaperones before arriving to the museum.
- Arrive 10–15 minutes early to allow time for check-in, restroom breaks and obtaining admission stamps for groups touring paid exhibits.
- Museum staff will help organize your group while the teacher/tour leader checks in at front desk.
- Make checks payable to: University of Florida. Verify participant numbers prior to payment.
- All Major Credit cards and Cash are accepted.
- To receive the group discount, admission for all participants must be paid in one payment at check-in, with a minimum of 10 participants.
- Parking: (Directions to the Museum)
- Bus parking is available behind the Hilton Hotel on SW 34th Street and Hull Road.
- Vehicle parking is available in front of the Harn Museum from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday at a rate of $4 per day, cash only. Look for the white parking attendant booth on the right after turning off of Hull Road.
- Note: The Museum is not responsible for parking tickets. However, UF Transportation & Parking Services information is available at the front desk.
- Group Size & Chaperone Responsibilities:
- Follow the Admissions Form guidelines for organizing your tour into smaller groups.
- Chaperones are responsible at all times for ensuring your group explores the Museum in a safe and respectful manner.
- General Museum Rules:
- Protect your Florida history: keep food, drinks, candy and gum outside the Museum.
- Cameras are welcome unless specified for some temporary exhibits. Tripods, monopods and commercial photography are prohibited.
- Backpacks, large bags, umbrellas and strollers are prohibited in the Butterfly Rainforest exhibit. Bags may be checked and left with Staff member at the Rainforest entrance desk.
- USDA regulations require staggered entrance into the Butterfly Rainforest exhibit.
- Lunch Accommodations:
- Place lunchboxes under the covered picnic area adjacent to the Museum entrance. Coolers are recommended as refrigeration is not provided.
- The covered picnic area is available on a first-come, first-served basis and accommodates 58 people.
- Please make sure all trash is placed in the appropriate receptacles if extra trash receptacles are needed please alert front desk staff.
- Please make sure to clean all trash and left-over food off the tables.