- This event has passed.
Join the Florida Museum as we celebrate LGBTQ+ members in STEM! Become a better ally with members of the community involved in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math. Opening remarks will be provided by the University of Florida’s Chief Diversity Officer, Antonio Farias!
This event is FREE and open to the public.
- Hear from LGBTQ+ panelists as they discuss their experiences in STEM fields.
- Go behind-the-scenes with tours of the McGuire Center for Lepidoptera and Biodiversity.
- Discover organisms in nature that have LGBTQ+ traits, including penguins, land snails and bearded dragons.
- Learn how to be a superior ally and what the various acronyms mean with an Allies 101 Briefing.
- Make buttons with your pronouns to wear.
- Enjoy a coloring station and more!
1:15 p.m.– Opening remarks by UF’s Chief Diversity Officer Antonio Farias
1:20 p.m.– Brief Allies 101 exercise led by former Museum Junior Volunteer and Florida State University pre-medical student Andrew Brasington
1:30 p.m.– Panel discussion begins with an audience Q&A portion to follow
3 p.m., 3:20 p.m. & 3:40 p.m.– Behind-the-scenes tours with Florida Museum Digitization Coordinator Laurel Kaminsky
- Joey McGinn (Moderator) – Resident Assistant, UF Department of Housing & Residence Education
- Grant Godden – Postdoctoral Researcher, Soltis Lab, Florida Museum Laboratory of Molecular Systematics & Evolutionary Genetics
- Ellen Bledsoe – Ph.D. Candidate, Ernest Lab, UF School of Natural Resources and Environment
- Kelsey Lewis – Ph.D. Candidate, Cohn Lab, UF Departments of Biology and Molecular Genetics & Microbiology
- Arik Hartmann – Graduate Student, Longo Lab, UF Department of Biology
- H. Dail Laughinghouse – Assistant Professor of Applied Phycology, Laughinghouse Lab, UF’s Fort Lauderdale Research and Education Center
- Mary C. Alford – Principal Engineer, The Sustainable Design Group
Venue3215 Hull Road
Gainesville, FL 32611
The Florida Museum may photograph or video visitors for educational and promotional purposes. Attendance to a Florida Museum event constitutes the attendee's consent regarding the possibility of appearing in Museum marketing materials.