- This event has passed.
Join the Florida Museum for a special BOOK CLUB in anticipation of critically acclaimed author Andrea Wulf’s visit on Oct. 6. Dive into the life of intrepid explorer and visionary scientist Alexander von Humboldt and discuss his lasting impact as we celebrate his 250th birthday!
A discussion on the book will be led by:
- Marta L. Wayne, professor and chair for the University of Florida department of biology
- Heather Rose Kates, Florida Museum postdoctoral researcher
This event is FREE and open to the public. Pre-registration is requested.
Purchase The Invention of Nature: Alexander von Humboldt’s New World, by Andrea Wulf in advance of the book club at the Florida Museum gift shop. Museum members receive a 10% discount.The gift shop and exhibits will be closed during the event.
Reviews for the book:
- “Like Humboldt himself, The Invention of Nature, is scholarly but extremely good fun.” – The Times
- “It remains my book of the year in practically every nonfiction category – science, nature, biography, history.” – Bill Bryson, The Guardian
- “At times The Invention of Nature reads like pulp explorer fiction, a genre at least partially inspired by Humboldt’s own travelogues.” – Nathaniel Rich, The New York Review of Books
If as a result of a disability you need a special accommodation, please contact the membership office at email@example.com or 352-273-2047 (TDD 711) at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Venue3215 Hull Road
Gainesville, FL 32611
The Florida Museum may photograph or video visitors for educational and promotional purposes. Attendance to a Florida Museum event constitutes the attendee’s consent regarding the possibility of appearing in Museum marketing materials.