The University of Florida Herbarium (FLAS) is a diverse, top 100, global collection of vascular plants, bryophytes, and lichens, with specimens from every continent and strengths in collections from the southeastern United States and the Caribbean, as well as other parts of the Neotropics. The Florida Museum of Natural History (FLMNH), which is Florida’s official state-sponsored and chartered natural history museum, is soliciting applications to fulfill the Collections Manager position at the University of Florida Herbarium. The Collections Manager is an employee of the University of Florida and reports to the Curator of the herbarium.
This position has broad responsibilities, including but not limited to, collections curation and management, specimen processing, overseeing of volunteers and students, loan management, database maintenance and digitization efforts, grant writing and administration, collections-based research, and public outreach activities. The successful candidate would also work collaboratively across other collections in the FLMNH and with other departments on campus, as necessary.
The University of Florida Herbarium is dedicated to public outreach and promoting plant sciences and awareness, and actively participates in international, as well as local, research projects. We collaborate with colleagues nationally and internationally and prioritize diversity within our collections, faculty, staff, students, and volunteers. A successful candidate would be expected to promote, support, increase and celebrate this diversity and facilitate equitable accessibility and use of the herbarium collection.
- Oversees all aspects of the herbarium specimen acquisitions workflow including specimen preparation, accessioning, cataloguing, maintenance, and storage in the Herbarium
- Manages the herbarium collection digitization program, including specimen data basing and imaging, database maintenance, development, and public interface, in accordance with the highest systematic and technological quality standards
- Processes and maintains records for all specimen transactions (acquisitions, loans, exchanges, and gifts)
- Aids in grant writing in support of the collection
- Manages operational budget and grant account expenditure, including purchase of collection-related supplies and library materials
- Maintains a working knowledge of plant systematics and associated taxonomic updates based on recent information
- Maintains, reviews, and applies collection guidelines to insure the current and future integrity of the collection
- Regularly meets with and reports to the Curator of the Herbarium regarding herbarium operations and programs
- Supervises undergraduate and graduate students, volunteers, hourly employees, and visiting scientists on proper collection and library use
- Works with Museum staff to update and maintain herbarium website
- Maintains computer and digitization equipment for continued high functionality and productivity
- Requests herbarium facilities maintenance work as needed
- Aids in collection showcasing and fundraising, including actively participating in visits to the collection by internal or outside parties
- Works with Museum media and external media sources, including social media platforms, to provide public outreach
- Participates in course-related activities, including introductions to and tours of the herbarium, plant collecting, and herbarium management
- Produces original, collections-based research products independently, in concert with the herbarium Curator, or with other researchers
- Conducts fieldwork in association with grant-funded projects, to aid visiting scientists, or for collection diversification, where necessary
- Encourages, enhances, and participates in collections-based research initiatives
- Provides research project support for faculty and staff in the Museum, as well as across other departments on and off campus
Works with the local Gainesville and UF community to further our efforts to highlight the importance of plants and plant research.
Interested applicants must apply online at https://explore.jobs.ufl.edu/en-us/job/517022.
The Florida Museum’s Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
At FLMNH, we strive to create a more diverse and inclusive student, faculty, and staff experience at the University of Florida. As a university-based museum, we believe it is essential that we, as educators, develop pathways for learners of all ages and wide-ranging audiences toward increased diversity, equity, accessibility, and inclusion in STEM and Social Science disciplines and workforces. We are committed to the ongoing self-reflection and work needed to serve students from historically underrepresented groups within the greater University of Florida community, especially through student mentorship, teaching, public outreach, and experiential learning opportunities. Candidates who, through their job duties, teaching, and/or service, will contribute to the diversity and excellence of the UF community are encouraged to apply.
The University of Florida is an Equal Opportunity Employer dedicated to building a broadly diverse and inclusive faculty and staff. The University of Florida invites all qualified applicants, including minorities, women, veterans, and individuals with disabilities. The University of Florida is a public institution and subject to all requirements under the Florida Sunshine and Public Records laws.