Thompson Earth Systems Institute Student Assistant
Do you love helping others understand and engage in science? Join the TESI team to gain important skills in science communication and outreach, all while helping us communicate Earth Systems science issues in Florida, and beyond!
Founded in 2018, the Thompson Earth Systems Institute (TESI) aims to advance communication and education about Earth systems science — air, water, land, and life — in Florida, and beyond. TESI accomplishes its mission through public programming, digital communication, K–12 outreach, and scientist professional development.
TESI is looking to hire an intern to assist with digital communications and public programming. Specifically, the intern will research and create content for TESI’s Instagram campaign, Know Your Florida. The intern will also assist with planning and implementing TESI events. Finally, this intern may help develop content for the TESI website and monthly environmental newsletter, Earth to Florida.
3215 Hull Rd
Gainesville, FL 32611
Approximate Hours per Week: 10
Weekly Schedule: Can be arranged around class schedule, Monday – Friday, between 8:00 am and 5:00 pm. Occasional evening and weekend support at events will be requested.
- Researching and developing Florida Earth systems content for TESI’s social media platforms
- Assisting with event planning and implementation
- Developing content for the TESI website
- Developing content for Earth to Florida, TESI’s environmental newsletter
- Assisting with other digital communications and public programming as needed
- Current undergraduate or graduate student at the University of Florida
- Strong writing skills, with attention to appropriate spelling, grammar, and mechanics
- Experience using social media
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Background or strong interest in science, or science communication
- Graphic design skills (or willingness to learn)
- Video editing skills (or willingness to learn)
- Experience using Wordpress
Desired Start Date: Spring 2020
Pay Rate: $12.40/hour
Internship Duration: Spring 2020, with the opportunity to extend given satisfactory performance
Contact Information: Sadie Mills, TESI Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org
To Apply: Interested students should submit a cover letter, resume, a 1-2 page writing sample, and contact information for 2 references to email@example.com.
Deadline to Apply: 5:00 pm on Friday, January 17, 2020