Do you love helping others understand and engage in science? TESI Environmental Communicators gain important skills in science communication and outreach, all while helping communicate Earth Systems science issues in Florida, and beyond!
The University of Florida Thompson Earth Systems Institute is advancing communication and education about Earth systems science in a way that inspires Floridians to be effective stewards of our planet. TESI accomplishes its mission through public programming, digital communication, K-12 outreach, and science communication professional development. Housed at the Florida Museum of Natural History, our vision is to lead the way to a healthier planet by cultivating a responsible and curious society that values, trusts and has access to science.
Visit our social media platforms for further information on TESI and its activities:
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/UFEarthSystems
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/UFEarthSystems/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/knowyourflorida/
TESI Environmental Communicators are valued team members who make important contributions to our mission. Communicators develop social media content, write newsletter articles, create videos and more, all focused on communicating Earth systems issues to Floridians, and beyond. During their time with us, students hone their science communication skills and broaden their knowledge about key environmental issues in Florida and across the globe.
Specifically, Communicators will serve as a critical arm of the TESI Digital Outreach team, researching and creating content for TESI’s Instagram campaign, Know Your Florida and producing content for the TESI website and monthly environmental newsletter, Earth to Florida. Communicators will also assist with planning and developing targeted digital awareness campaigns, such as our recent Insect Effect campaign.
Communicators will leave with a science communication portfolio of educational blog posts, feature stories, social media posts, graphics and more. This is a truly hands-on experience!
- Researching and developing Florida Earth systems content for TESI’s social media platforms
- Assisting with event planning and implementation
- Developing content for the TESI website
- Developing content for Earth to Florida, TESI’s environmental newsletter
- Assisting with other digital communications and public programming as needed
Visit the following link to see products from current and previous Communicators: https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/earth-systems/tesi-students/
The position will be located in the TESI office suite at:
3215 Hull Rd
Gainesville, FL 32611
This position is open to University of Florida junior or senior undergraduate students and graduate students who have an interest and willingness to learn more about science communication.
Candidates must also have an interest in writing and multimedia production. A good handle on grammar and punctuation is a must. Throughout their time working for TESI, Communicators will receive mentoring on writing, editing, graphic design and social media management.
Approximate hours per week
Communicators will work 10-15 hours per week between the hours of 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.
- Strong writing skills, with attention to appropriate spelling, grammar, and mechanics
- Experience using social media
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Background or strong interest in science, or science communication
- Graphic design skills (or willingness to learn)
- Video editing skills (or willingness to learn)
- Experience using WordPress
Desired Start Date
Summer 2023, with the opportunity to extend given satisfactory performance
Becca Burton, TESI Communications Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org
Interested students should submit a cover letter, resume, 1-2 writing samples, and contact information for 2 references to email@example.com.
Deadline to Apply
Applications will be reviewed as they are received. The final deadline to apply is 11:59 pm on Wednesday, April 12, 2023.