The Florida Museum Budget & HR Office (BHR) is committed to pursuing and maintaining compliance with federal, state and local rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
It is the policy of the University of Florida (UF) that all purchases should be made through UF procurement mechanisms. The use of UF procurement mechanisms ensures that the purchases have received the appropriate review for compliance with all pertinent State laws, regulations, and university policies and that the university has achieved the best value. Purchases may only be made for reasonable and appropriate goods or services necessary to accomplish the mission of the University of Florida. For more information on allowable purchases, please visit here.
IMPORTANT NOTE: It is the policy of the Florida Museum (FM) that all IT purchases must be coordinated by the Office of Museum Technology (OMT) in compliance with the FM IT Procurement Policy published on the Museum Intranet. A detailed explanation of the IT purchasing process is published on the OMT website.
Your options for purchasing at UF:
- myUF Marketplace – UF’s preferred source for most ordinary purchases. Marketplace vendors partner with UF and must meet certain standards in pricing, service, sustainability, and diversity. This should be your first stop for everything from lab and office supplies to furniture and technical equipment.
- Purchase Order – An agreement between UF and a vendor to go forward with a purchase. Internally, POs help ensure that a purchase follows all UF policies and Florida law and sets aside (encumbers) the needed funds. A vendor must first be registered with UF in order to receive a PO. Required for all purchases $5000 and above.
- UF PCard – Best for small purchases, travel, and when paying by invoice is impractical.
- Invoice – Direct payment from UF to the vendor for a completed order. Vendors must first be registered with UF.
Tips and Guides to help these options run smoothly:
- All carts should have the funding source(s) and business purpose listed as a comment or entered directly in the appropriate field in the cart before assigning to your purchaser (Shuronna or Matt). UF Business Purpose
- Carts should contain items from only one vendor at a time.
- If you work in multiple locations on campus, be sure to note the shipping address you prefer.
- Once you receive your items, send a copy of the packing slip or included invoice to your purchaser within 5 days of purchase. We cannot pay for your order until you do so.
Purchase Order Requests
- When requesting a PO, send your purchaser a quote directly from the vendor that details exactly what is being purchased, how many, and for what dollar amount.
- PO requests must include the funding source(s) and business purpose. UF Business Purpose
- Purchases of $10,000 or more require at least three written, competing quotes. If such a product or service is available only from one vendor, include a completed Sole Source Certification form in your request. (Sole Source Certification)
- If requesting a service (as opposed to goods), include a start and end date in your request.
- POs can only be issued to vendors already registered with UF. Contact your purchaser if you need add a vendor to UF’s vendor system.
- If your order is canceled or only partially fulfilled, notify your purchaser so the remaining balance can be released.
- (UF Pcards) The Florida Museum PCard Best Practices page is currently being updated.
- All unpaid invoices should be emailed to UF’s central invoicing system at firstname.lastname@example.org and must contain either a PO number or department ID number (e.g., PO2100234567, or 56020100).
- Never sign an agreement on behalf of UF or FLMNH. Purchases with ANY terms or conditions must be sent to your purchaser in Budget and Human Resources.
- Every purchase must be approved by someone with spending authority over the funding source(s) used (i.e., PI, Director, fund administrator).
- Reimbursement should be a last resort for purchases of goods or services. Personal funds may only be used for small (under $50) purchases when other methods cannot be used. Reimbursements above $50 are not permitted without justification.
- If you need to cancel or change an order, reach out directly to the vendor to do so. If you ordered through the Marketplace or by Purchase Order, notify your purchaser.
- With very few exceptions, items or services cannot be paid for until after they are received.
- If you are unsure or have any questions about a process, STOP and reach out to the Budget and Human Resources office for help before going forward.